Jumping. Jack. Julie. Joyful. Jelly. Jasmine. Anything J...

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ballet Crisis: HELP!



Some ballet nonos...


Which I practice...the above is the arched back...
- i have a tendency to stand like this..
- which is actually very normal for non dancers
- try standing straight...like really straight.. u might be standing like this!
- mebe it's more for me too as above cuz I have an arched back....as in a natural indent in my back due to hours of long sitting!



This is the nono for developpes or anything to do with ur grand battements to the side, or raising ur leg to the side
- try doing that
- fine, u can certainly raise it right?
- well, try doing this - dont move ur hips, yes I mean, dun even move it..
- try placing ur hand at the hip
- extend ur leg out to the side
- ur natural tendency is to move the entire leg, and hip, as per the pic above
= that looks pretty ugly
- what u need to do is to actually, raise it, with ur heel (yes, the rough part of ur foot - leading the way, with ur entire inside of the leg being turned out)
- hahaha...lost me there?
- well, ballet is tough!


Help help...Hmm...my ballet teacher wants me to go to another grade, which is the interfoundation, even though - i am not taking my intermediate foundation, and even though - i have just recently grasped the steps..Being an adult ballet dancer with the kids is tough - the kids are actually 12 - 16 year olds and they're really good!

It's tough..especially the part where she gives u free work - ughhhhh....free work is when she just choregraphs some terms WITH french ballet terms and expects u to do the choreography..its what they call "en chay maun" okk..thats how they pronounce it..but i believe the proper spelling goes something like: "en chaimaine"...


I think thats the toughest part...cuz i think like one step at one time..the kids can get the choreography real quick though! but i will go at my own pace..

I guess my worry is that..hmmm...if i go to the next grade..id probably forget the previous grade..and if i wanna take my exams (for the intermediate foundation), which she knows i would like to do (and she has subtly said) - i'd be confused doing two separate grades at one time..it's like learning your form 4 and 5 at one go..and wantng to go for the form 4 examinations!


Not too sure whether what she advised me is good....id rather i just stay back in the intermediate foundation and just continue - because i can concentrate more on my technique rather than get muddled up with the steps! BESIDES being confused by interfoundation steps..

Only catch here is that, the current intermediate foundation class - is really slow, and somehow - she thinks that they are too slow for me..and i wont be able to "learn" as much....I think she doesnt really like the intermediate foundation girls batch cuz they are quite tardy, as in miss classes, they're not even into pointe yettt........but if i stay in interfoundation (with the current batch) they are more dedicated..and all - i dunno lar..



option A: Take both interfoundation + intermediate foundation together - if she sees i can take exam, then later join back intermediate foundation, but meantime, be challenged and confused by interfoundation?


Option B: Just concentrate on intermediate foundation, and polish up


Option C: Try out interfoundation, and if i can't cope - go to intermediate foundation

Option D: Go find another studio and teacher (though, ive moved so many times...and so lazy to find another one)


Besides that, I am looking for a school with teachers who "emphatise" more with adult ballet students..i am one rare species in this school..the only adult with the kids! actually adult ballet in Malaysia is super rare...very rare..don't see many around


And I need to work on my flexibility...


Hmm.....decision...ur comments and opinions are valued if u have any advise...


ps: check this out: http://www.ballet-bible.com/


-jade-

No comments: